So you are new to driving?…at Aplus Driving Academy we want you to be safe and enjoy your newly acquired skills. We all know these days we have to be adaptable and multitasking is at the forefront of how we are today. However, this does not apply to your attention span in a vehicle….. Here are a few things you need to remember:
- Texting – 51%
- Children in the car – 36%
- Talking on the Phone – 45%
- Chatting to a passenger – 32.3%
- Changing radio/CD/MP3 – 40.4%
- Road Rage – 32%
- Staring at an accident – 39.8%
- Having an argument – 31%
- Eating or Drinking – 37%
- Lighting a cigarette – 29%
Dealing with distractions:
- If you need to do something distracting, find a safe place to pull over
- Recognise what makes you distracted, then work out whether or not you really need to do it
- Make sure you’re ready to drive before setting off. After an emotional event, you might need to take some time to calm down
- Use technology sensibly – or not at all
- Plan your route in advance so you’re not having to work out your route as you go along.
These simple steps can and do avoid collisions.
How frustrating are all these things? We all see examples of this every day….let’s just not be one of them.